Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics
Gateway Pediatrics is uniquely privileged to have our own in-house Board Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Dorothy Rzewnicki specializing in Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics. Dorothy Rzewnicki is also Board Certified as a Pediatric Mental Health Specialist.
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics is a Board Certified Sub-Specialty of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Dorothy has the training and expertise to evaluate and care for a child with a developmental, learning or behavior problem.
Here are some examples of developmental and behavioral issues for which your child can be evaluated for by Dorothy:
Recommendations for Delayed Development
in speech, language, motor skills and thinking ability.
Behavioral and developmental problems
complicating the full range of pediatric chronic illnesses and disabling conditions (for example, genetic disorders, epilepsy, prematurity, diabetes, asthma, cancer).
Scope of Dorothy’s practice:
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of professionals.
- Appropriate referral to psychologist, speech language pathologist, occupational or physical therapist, neurodevelopmental disabilities Pediatrician, child psychiatrist, child Neurologist, educational diagnostician or clinical social worker.
- Ability to assess and treat the medical and psycho-social aspects of a child’s developmental/behavioral issues.
- Advocate for children with developmental and behavioral problems by working closely with schools, preschools and other agencies involved with developmental care and education.
- Assist families to obtain the most comprehensive and appropriate educational accommodations such as a 504 plan or an Individualized Education Program (IEP).
- Dorothy is NOT a certified counselor herself but can refer the child/family for counseling.
- Experienced in the care of adopted and foster children and children with prenatal drug and alcohol exposure.
- Contact Dorothy’s assistant Katherine at 480-963-6668 to schedule your child’s appointment.
- Your Pediatrician (primary care provider) can refer your child to be evaluated by Dorothy at Gateway Pediatrics. Dorothy will update your doctor directly of her assessment findings, as well as your child’s treatment plans and progress.
- A fee of $50 will be charged for appointments made with Dorothy and cancelled/rescheduled without 24 hours notice.