Meet the Providers
SUDHA CHANDRASEKHAR, “DR.SUDHA”, MD, FAAP, MPH, IBCLC
- She completed her Masters in Public Health (Maternal and Child Health) from the University of Hawaii School of Public Health, graduating with honors. During her stay in Hawaii, she was also certified in Interdisciplinary Infant Specialization, focusing on infants and toddlers with special health care needs.
- Dr. Sudha’s areas of interests include General Pediatrics, Breastfeeding and Children with Special Health Needs.
- She is a member of the Breastfeeding Taskforce at Chandler Regional Medical Center and also serves on the Quality Committee at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- Gateway Pediatrics, the pride and joy of her life, was founded on December 1, 2004.
- Dr. Sudha is married with two sons.
- Outside of work, she is very active in the local community, loves to read and write, enjoys training for half-marathons with her walking partner, Colleen Smith, and is passionate about South Indian classical music and her garden.
Dr. Mariah Scott
- It is with great pleasure that Gateway Pediatrics welcomes the newest addition to our family, Dr. Mariah Scott. She joins our practice on Monday August 3, 2015.
- Dr. Scott is an Arizona native, graduating with honors from Hamilton High School. She graduated with her BS in Biology, minoring in Chemistry from the University of Arizona. Dr. Scott obtained her degree in Osteopathic Medicine (DO) from Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine. She completed her Pediatric Residency (Primary Care Track) from the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston SC and graduated in June 2015. With her youthful enthusiasm and infectious laughter, Dr. Scott will add new ideas and the latest trends in Pediatric Medicine to our practice.
- She has a special interest in child safety issues. Her poster on Car Seat Confusion won second place in the Resident Poster Contest at the South Carolina chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics meeting in 2013. She was also selected to present this poster (Car Seat Confusion) at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting in San Diego in April 2015. During her Pediatric Residency, Dr. Scott presented on various subjects ranging from Asthma information for parents to Vaccine Related Rashes and Eating Disorders in Adolescents.
- Dr. Scott has volunteered extensively including a Teen Volunteer at Chandler Regional Medical Center, High School Youth Leader in Iowa, High School Youth Leader in Summerville SC and Docs-Adopt at her Pediatric Residency Program.
- Dr. Scott is married with two delightful young children. Outside of Pediatrics, she enjoys reading, writing, cooking/baking, running and spending time with her family.
- Appointments can be scheduled with Dr. Scott beginning Monday August 3, 2015.
Dr. Cristina Tamez!
- Gateway Pediatrics is delighted to announce the addition of Dr. Cristina Tamez to our practice! Dr. Tamez completed her BS in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin, graduating with honors. She obtained her MD from the University Of Texas Medical School at Houston in 2012. Dr. Tamez completed her Pediatric Residency training at the combined Phoenix Children’s Hospital/Maricopa Medical Center Residency Program in September 2015.
- In addition to finishing a grueling three year residency program, Dr. Tamez became a new mom in June and took the qualifying examination for the American Board of Pediatrics in October 2015. Multitasking clearly does not daunt Dr. Tamez!
- Dr. Tamez is fluently bilingual in Spanish and joins us with extensive international experience acquired through study abroad programs in Rome and medical externships completed in Thailand and the Dominican Republic. She served as president of the UT Mexican and International Students Association, Vice President of the Latino Medical Students Association and Co-Editor of the Pediatrics Section of UT Houston Medical Spanish Project.
- A fitness enthusiast, Dr. Tamez participates in half marathons in addition to figure skating and hiking. Personal interests include Latin dance, reading and traveling.
- Appointments can be scheduled with Dr. Tamez starting Tuesday October 20, 2015.
SANDRA SEXTON, RN, CPNP, IBCLC
- Sandra Sexton earned her Associates Degree from Gateway Community College, BSN from Grand Canyon University and MSN from AZ State University (ASU). She is a Board Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (CPNP).
- Additionally she is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
- She assists Dr. Sudha in newborn rounds at Chandler Regional and Mercy Gilbert Medical Centers.
- Sandra worked in the Pediatric Ambulatory Care Clinic (PACC) at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center for more than 2 decades. During her tenure at PACC, she guided and supervised many Pediatric interns and residents in training (including Dr. Sudha!).
- She joined Gateway Pediatrics in 2012.
- Her interests include Breastfeeding, Childhood Obesity and Health Promotion in the Hispanic Community.
- Sandra is fluently bilingual, a tremendous asset for our Spanish speaking patients.
- Sandra is married with a daughter. She is committed to personal fitness and health and loves reading, raising her 4 English setters, yoga and zumba in her spare time. She also serves on Medical Missions.
DOROTHY RZEWNICKI, RN, CPNP, PMHS
- Dorothy earned her Associates Degree from Harry S. Truman College Chicago, BSN from University of Phoenix, and MSN from AZ State University (ASU). Dorothy is a Board Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (CPNP). Additionally, Dorothy is also a Certified Pediatric Mental Health Specialist.
- She trained for 8 years with Dr. Daniel B. Kessler at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center specializing in Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics.
- Dorothy has been a valuable addition to Gateway Pediatrics since 2011. We have the unique distinction of being the only Pediatric practice in the Valley with our own in-house Developmental and Behavioral Specialist.
- Dorothy has a special interest in the care of adopted and foster children and substance exposed children. She works at the Child Crisis Center in this capacity.
- She is married with two sons. Dorothy enjoys reading and practicing yoga for relaxation and health, in addition to her dog and antiquing.
PAULINE GATCHELL, BA, RN, IBCLC
- Paulie Gatchell graduated from Pacific Oaks College in Pasadena, California, with her BA and attended Providence School of Nursing in Portland, Oregon, for her RN degree.
- Paulie has been an outstanding Pediatric nurse and Lactation Consultant for over 4 decades in her position as Pediatric Nurse Manager and Breastfeeding Consultant at the Mid Valley Children’s Clinic in Albany, Oregon. She was trained in the Lactation Institute Ventura, California by the renowned IBCLC Chele Marmet to successfully become an IBCLC herself.
- In turn, Paulie has mentored numerous other nurses to pass the IBCLC examination. It was Paulie who inspired, encouraged and guided Dr. Sudha to become an IBCLC. Paulie pioneered and modeled the concept of in-house lactation consulting in a Pediatric practice and Gateway Pediatrics is honored to continue this tradition. In her long career, her gentle wisdom has helped countless moms and babies breastfeed successfully.
- The love, pride and joy of Paulie’s life is her granddaughter Morgan. Paulie is married with 3 sons. She enjoys beading and jewelry making in her spare time.